juliamarkovic

A Stitch in Time
Amanda James
The Demon's Lexicon
Sarah Rees Brennan
The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie (Mackenzies Series)
Jennifer Ashley
Eyes to See - Joseph Nassise The whys and wherefores of Jeremiah Hunt's world are fascinating, a mix of grim reality and arcane practicality. As the chapters switch between the past and present, Hunt's growth from comfortable academic to iron-hard, isolated mystic unfolds page by page. While I loved all of the chapters from Hunt's perspective, I could have done without the present-tense chapters from other characters' points of view. They never reached Hunt's level of charisma and interest, and I found myself anxious to get back to our hero's perspective.

Hunt's personal magnetism is well established from page one. Riding along on an exorcism provids front row seats for how ghosts and magic interact in his world, and so much action mixed with exposition gives the reader a lot of information in an interesting way. I was captivated by this meticulously imagined ghost world, though I enjoyed Hunt's expertise more than the flashbacks of how he had come by it.

If I could have spent the whole book in the first half of Hunt's point of view, this book would be one of my favorites. Unfortunately, while the world building never lost it's magic, by the last few chapters the plot comes unspooled. The exposition that was so interesting from a magical theory perspective becomes less natural when it's plot threads being tied off one after another in haphazard fait accompli. I enjoyed so much of EYES TO SEE, it was disappointing to have the ending feel so rushed and underdeveloped. If nothing else, however, Nassise has piqued my interest in his other books, in hopes of finding more of those elements that were so captivating.

Full review at All Things Urban Fantasy.

Sexual Content: None.