juliamarkovic

A Stitch in Time
Amanda James
The Demon's Lexicon
Sarah Rees Brennan
The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie (Mackenzies Series)
Jennifer Ashley
Shadowman - Erin Kellison After enjoying Erin Kellison's novella, SHADOW TOUCH, I jumped at the chance to review SHADOWMAN. Though this is my first book in the Shadow series, I was swept up in the story from page one. Despite being a part of a series, SHADOWMAN is a satisfying stand along novel as well. I am eager to catch up with SHADOW BOUND and SHADOW FALL, to see if enjoyment of Layla and Khan deepens even more when I know more about their daughter.

Despite the complexity of this family's relationship, SHADOWMAN provides just enough background to quickly orient a someone new to the series (in a way that wouldn't phase an established reader at all). Layla's connection to Talia was a definite surprise, and I enjoyed the pragmatic Adam Thorne's response to this revelation more than anyone's. Talia and Adam are wonderfully written, balancing a global war with colicky twins, but it is definitely Khan and Layla who steal the show. Of all the preternatural romances I've read this year, the bond between Death and the bright, strong soul of Kathleen O'Brien is one of the most convincing. Pair that with the breathtaking chemistry between Layla and her newly rediscovered lover, and this is a romance to remember.

I am beyond impressed by how easy it was to leap into the series with this book, but SHADOWMAN is enjoyable enough on it's own that both SHADOW BOUND and SHADOW FALL area already cued up on my eReader. With interesting, accessible world building, and characters that just grow more and more likable, I get the impression that picking up any Kellison book is a good bet. SHADOWMAN was good enough that I'm going to finally going to buckle down and start from the beginning.

Full review at All Things Urban Fantasy.

Sexual Content: Sex scenes.