juliamarkovic

A Stitch in Time
Amanda James
The Demon's Lexicon
Sarah Rees Brennan
The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie (Mackenzies Series)
Jennifer Ashley
In the Forests of the Night - Kersten Hamilton Kersten Hamilton does a wonderful job picking up the threads from book one and weaving them seamlessly into IN THE FORESTS OF THE NIGHT. Her ability to drop information unobtrusively into the narrative was important, as her cast of characters is large and complex, and getting reacquainted took a few chapters.

That getting to know you process is rewarding, however, as Teagan and her friends deal with the frenetic aftermath of their trip to the faerie realms. admit, I was overwhelmed for the first several chapters, but I think that was a natural extension of the story. Teagan is under siege, with no clear path forward to secure the safety of her family and friends. Her home life is disjointed, with the fall of TYGER TYGER introducing new people (and changing the old). It is not until the story is at it's most dangerous that things take on an eerie calm, as if the direct conflict itself smooths the way for Teagan to assess and solve the problem before her.

Despite a rocky beginning, once Teagan finds her feet I really enjoyed this story. Unfortunately, that was far enough into the book to knock this down one star over all. To those who loved TYGER TYGER (and thus, would probably find the opening less confusing than I did), IN THE FORESTS OF THE NIGHT is a must read. And for those who are as bad at keeping track of a large cast as I am, the ending of this book was more than worth the effort. Once Teagan sunk her teeth into the conflict, I was completely on board for book three.

Full review at All Things Urban Fantasy.

Sexual Content: Kissing.