juliamarkovic

A Stitch in Time
Amanda James
The Demon's Lexicon
Sarah Rees Brennan
The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie (Mackenzies Series)
Jennifer Ashley
Immortal Rider - Larissa Ione A brand of Paranormal Romance that is becoming more and more common, IMMORTAL RIDER melds over the top violence and lust to create a supernatural telanovela that teeters on the edge of apocalypse. Though this was my first book in this series, I've read a few of Larissa Ione's prior books in this world, so I wasn't completely confused by the names and supporting stories that flew by.

Though not a unique feel, I think IMMORTAL RIDER managed to tread the line that many recent PNR's have failed: dark without becoming offensive. There's plenty of drama and human frailty in IMMORTAL RIDER, but Ione never pushes things so far as to become a turn off. Even better, her darker characters hover between genuinely evil and redeemable... and that second guessing game opens up a whole new horizon for sequels.

I did get frustrated by Thanatos and Regan's subplot. I'm not a fan of the "if only they'd talked to each other" device, and though Arik and Limos definitely have hints of that in their story, they managed not to blow things too far out of proportion. Regan herself pointed out the "secret baby" plot device for their situation, and I'm on pins and needles to see if Ione can pull off a variation of such a classic device without falling prey to the classic blunders that go along with it.

Sexual Content: Explicit sex scenes, mentions of orgies.