juliamarkovic

A Stitch in Time
Amanda James
The Demon's Lexicon
Sarah Rees Brennan
The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie (Mackenzies Series)
Jennifer Ashley
Evil Dark - Justin Gustainis

EVIL DARK hit the spot, both as a police procedural and UF. The dry police banter, methodical exploration of crimes, and a story and world that were easy to jump into make this great introduction to the series as well as a satisfying stand alone. I love how these crimes prove that not all supernatural crime is exotic, arresting an ogre that smashed up a bar or talking a wingless faerie off a ledge were excellent counterpoints to the heinous violence of the demonic snuff films.

Markowski and Karl are interesting, neither at odds nor pathologically in sync. I liked the casual humor between them, everything from puns to dirty asides, which both provided entertainment and made their relationship all the more realistic.

Still chuckling over the ending, a strong dose of manly-man fantasy fulfillment. Neither quite hard-boiled enough for serious mystery, nor arcane enough for pure urban fantasy, EVIL DARK is a blend that does justice to both genres without taking either too seriously. I enjoyed this book immensely, and will be back.

Full review to follow.

Sexual Content: References to sex, rape, child abuse, and a threesome.