juliamarkovic

A Stitch in Time
Amanda James
The Demon's Lexicon
Sarah Rees Brennan
The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie (Mackenzies Series)
Jennifer Ashley
A Lady Can Never Be Too Curious - Mary Wine After struggling with The Ministry of Peculiar Occurances series all week, I am coming to the realization that I like steampunk more as a flavor added to other story lines than as a genre all on it's lonesome. Gail Carringer's gorgeous Soulless series mixes steampunk with fantasy and regency romance, Meljean Brook's Iron Seas series is almost undefinable with the gritty mix of apocalypse, technology, and history, and A LADY CAN NEVER BE TOO CURIOUS is a light, fun, historical romance with familiar class boundaries being drawn along fanciful technological lines.

But with a heroine named "Janette", the hero can't keep saying, "Damn it!" without it getting very distracting... But a little humor is appreciated, more so than the endless refrain of warnings and defiance batted back and forth between the hero and heroine. A LADY CAN NEVER BE TOO CURIOUS resonnates on the old-school side of romance, with Janette's naive pluck and Darius's gruff smoldering becoming a little belabored. Everything from character banter to sex scenes were too predictable for my tastes.