juliamarkovic

A Stitch in Time
Amanda James
The Demon's Lexicon
Sarah Rees Brennan
The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie (Mackenzies Series)
Jennifer Ashley
Boyfriend from Hell - Jamie Quaid As interesting as Quaid's world is, I'm still struggling to buy into her characters. The tone, from heroine to down to supporting characters, is very hard to pin down. The scene where Justine gets a new dress and scopes out her new hair seems very odd for her character, insofar as she doesn't seem like a "girlfriend makeover" kind of person. Further clues seem to put significance on certain acts resulting in physical changes, so I'm waiting to see if this gets resolved further down the road.

The men in Justine's life are interesting, bad boy to boy scout and everything in between.

Justine's tough guy tone makes for easy reading, though her easy acceptance of magic and weirdness makes for a flat affect. I would have liked a little less cartoony action and a little more emotional depth, but on the whole BOYFRIEND FROM HELL reads like a comic book libretto. Anyone who likes KARMA GIRL or MIND GAMES will enjoy this mix of chemical super powers and magical destiny.

Full review to follow.