juliamarkovic

A Stitch in Time
Amanda James
The Demon's Lexicon
Sarah Rees Brennan
The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie (Mackenzies Series)
Jennifer Ashley
Cast in Peril - Michelle Sagara, Michelle Sagara West I love the gruff humor and breathless chaos that swirl around Private Kaylin Neyra on any given day. CAST IN RUIN left her in protective possession of a large, mysterious egg, and CAST IN PERIL opened with the answer I had been dying to know since then.

The Chronicles of Elantra are an interesting urban fantasy/fantasy hybrid. Sagara has created her own "urban" environment, as the city in which Kaylin lives serves as her whole world. Until CAST IN PERIL, that is, when it looks like obligations are going to take her beyond the familiar confines of her home, all the way to the edge of the Empire.

Of all the magical mechanisms in fantasy, Sagara's naming and runes are some of the most intriguing and frustrating to read. I feel like I can see the runes and symbols floating in the air around Kaylin, even as I sometimes struggle to understand the latest apocalyptic event being averted by magic. So much as transpired in this series, even having read each book in order, I often have a hard time remembering details of the previous adventures (and prior events are often referenced).

The action sequences in The Chronicles of Elantra always tax my concentration to it's fullest. Magical theory is thick on the page, and I usually understand less of the mechanisms that drive the conflict than I do notice the changes in Kaylin that result. CAST IN PERIL is no different in that regard. I understood less about the naming and True stories of the Barrani than I did the relationship dynamics around Kaylin. With both Nightshade and Severin in this story, the romantic subtext was greater than usual, to the point of actually bubbling out into conversation every once and awhile.

Full review to follow.

Sexual Content: Discussion of sex.