juliamarkovic

A Stitch in Time
Amanda James
The Demon's Lexicon
Sarah Rees Brennan
The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie (Mackenzies Series)
Jennifer Ashley
Slashback: A Cal Leandros Novel (Cal and Niko) - Rob Thurman This is only the second Cal Leandros book that I've read, and once again I find myself wondering how I could have let this awesome series slip through my fingers for so long. SLASHBACK is even more accessible as a standalone than DOUBLETAKE, as the narrative flicks back and forth from past to present, giving a perfectly balanced glimpse of Niko's adolescence and Cal's current state of mind. As someone new to the series, I was immediately invested and in love. I've already started making a list of friends who need a copy of SLASHBACK, it is the perfect gateway book to seduce new readers into this world.

Part of what makes SLASHBACK so relateable and accessible is the focus on Niko and Cal's relationship. There are few relationships as appealing as a deep friendship, and as as devoted, damaged, and codependent as the brothers Leandros may be, they are also indisputably friends. Head smacking, prank pulling, smart-assing compatriots; essentially my ideal leading men. While Cal seems to spend most of his waking moments trying to provoke a response from his big brother, it is obvious how much love is interwoven with all that annoyance.

Two data points isn't enough for me to make any sweeping recommendations regarding this series, but SLASHBACK is so good on it's own that doesn't matter at all. Of course, I had a copy of NIGHTLIFE on order minutes after finishing SLASHBACK, so don't pick up this book without making room for a few more on your TBR list.