juliamarkovic

A Stitch in Time
Amanda James
The Demon's Lexicon
Sarah Rees Brennan
The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie (Mackenzies Series)
Jennifer Ashley
The Deepest Night - Shana Abe As much as I loved THE SWEETEST DARK, this seuqel has effortlessly surpassed it. A strengthening heroine, a tender love story, and daring midnight flights over wartorn Europe... love, danger, magic... everything I could have hoped for in a story.

While THE SWEETEST DARK had to establish Eleanora's magical nature, THE DEEPEST NIGHT is all about her growing stronger. The social constraints hemming her in become less and less of a challenge, instead she faces her own magical limits and the realities of the war. Shana Abe has once again inserted a dragon into history, and rather than cloistered in their own enclaves Eleanora is surrounded by humanity, making the contrast all the more thrilling.

In addition to this wonderful world building, the romance wrung so much emotion out of me. Jesse loss was so heartbreaking, and his ephemeral presence adds a lovely, bittersweet backdrop to Armand's devotion to Eleanora. True to the time, true to the characters, these two don't fall into each other's arms. However, shared experiences built on friendship, respect adding to attraction, despite the social barriers in their way THE DEEPEST NIGHT gave me fragile hope that Armand's affection may be returned.

THE DEEPEST NIGHT fanned my anticipation to it's highest point, and once again I am dying to get my hands on the next in the series. So many conflicts, magical and mundane, still encircle these fragile characters. After this heartpounding adventure through the skies of enemy territory, I don't know how Eleanora and Armand are going to shrink themselves back down to fit the claustrophic society of every day life. I don't know if I'll be able to bear it... but I can't wait to find out.

Full review to follow.