juliamarkovic

A Stitch in Time
Amanda James
The Demon's Lexicon
Sarah Rees Brennan
The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie (Mackenzies Series)
Jennifer Ashley
The Coldest Girl in Coldtown - Holly Black THE COLDEST GIRL IN COLDTOWN is a love song to my adolescence. It is all the delicious, dark danger of vampire mythology wrapped around a teenage heroine who I loved dearly. I loved Tana to the point where every POV that took me away from her was an interruption, I wanted to slice their words right out of the book. Amidst the drama and the death and the danger, Tana is a battered hero, made stronger by past damage. Intent on "doing the right thing", even as that one, true thing becomes amorphous and shadowed.

Around Tana are a cast of characters that serve the story well, but didn't do much on their own. Aiden glitters and charms to provide a clear "worst boyfriend" standard by which to judge all of Tana's other options. Midnight and Winter represent the deluded, danger-seeking teens flocking to Coldtowns, and Pearl was the mechanism by which Tana could forgive her childhood self. Gavriel was wonderful, though his mystery obscured him for most of the story. While I appreciated the backdrop these characters created, I really only wanted to read about Tana. She was riveting. Conflicted, fragile, resolute... I loved her.

Fans of Robin McKinley's SUNSHINE will enjoy THE COLDEST GIRL IN COLDTOWN, and Black's Tana re-imagines Anne Bishop's WRITTEN IN RED with a heroine that gets her hands dirty.

Full review to follow.

Sexual Content: Kissing, references to sex.