juliamarkovic

A Stitch in Time
Amanda James
The Demon's Lexicon
Sarah Rees Brennan
The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie (Mackenzies Series)
Jennifer Ashley
Possession - J.R. Ward Surprising, complex, and sexy as hell, POSSESSION is J. R. Ward at her best. The romance in this book could easily have been an afterthought, as the battle between heaven and hell breaks the rules and defies expectation. Ward cranks the Alpha chemistry to full, however, and I couldn't wait for moments when the page turned back to Duke.

I've lost patience with some of the quirkier aspects of this celestial conflict in the past. The OCD demon and the repressed, British archangel both were my least favorite parts of the series. At first. By book two, I began to learn that Ward wasn't going to let me coast on my assumptions, as she brought real stakes and losses to the battle for these souls. Finishing POSSESSION, however, ratcheted my admiration to a new high. Ward only writes rules so she can break them, and she only builds expectation so she can blow your mind. POSSESSION embraces the best of Paranormal Romance, while infusing a fresh creativity that is rarer and rarer in the genre.

The Fallen Angels feel like falling in love with the Black Dagger Brotherhood all over again, and without some of the narrative aspects that have driven me away from series of late. Fewer brand names, a lighter hand with the slang, and a full stable of Alpha heartthrobs, this series has become my new Ward favorite.

Full review to follow.

Sexual Content: Sex scenes, an attempted rape.